In a dozen years of motherhood, I’m always surprised the milestones that get me. The usual ones – like losing her first tooth or sending her to kindergarten – haven’t really been the ones that make me teary. Cate turns 12 today, and it’s making me all kinds of nostalgic.
On the heels of my own 40th birthday, I’m just feeling extra mushy about my oldest turning a dozen years as she finishes sixth grade in NINE MORE school days. I say NINE MORE with much rejoicing. It’s been a good year, but we’re ready for Summer Break. No surprise there, I know.
Cate is a typical first-born girl in so many ways. She thinks about all the details, makes plans, and worries about what could happen. I see myself in her – which is both beautiful and frightening. This girl made me a momma 12 years ago and her adoption story has been pivotal in my faith journey.
I’m grateful we got to spend two days with her classmates in Frankfort last month. That time with just her in the car and the hotel room were a gift to my momma soul. She’s such a good friend and sister, although I’m often praying for her and Ben to focus on their common ground and not their differences. She thinks her brother and dad are loud (which they are sometimes) and she is like a second mother to Rachel, who is eight years younger. She’s clever and caring.
Happy birthday, sweet Cate. Some days I want to freeze time and other days I can’t see what to see what God does in you and through you.
In honor of Cate’s 12 birthday, I thought I’d share 12 things about her:
1. She likes to stay up late and sleep in.
2. I thought I would be the mom who reads all the books before her kids did. Nope. Cate reads faster than anyone I know and remembers all the details.
3. She plays the piano, likes to ride horses, and jumps on the trampoline often.
4. Her birthday dinner of choice tonight is happening in my kitchen: Little cheesy meatloaves, homemade mac & cheese, roasted broccoli, crescent rolls, and Heath cake.
5. We’re going to celebrate her more this weekend – with a Harry Potter birthday party.
6. She’s thrilled we’re also going to Universal Studios in October because that’s where Harry Potter World is.
7. “Survivor” and “The Voice” are shows we watch together and I know she likes that time without her siblings.
8. She’ll craft anything – make slime, paint, sew, draw, write stories, and this past weekend she learned to make friendship bracelets.
9. She’s had braces on for about a year and a half and it’s amazing to see how her teeth have moved.
10. This year she claims history and drama as her favorite school subjects.
11. She’s passed me in shoe size. (She wears a size 9 now.)
12. She likes the color purple, sparkly things, and accessories.
Susan Shipe says
I love how you did this, Kristin. Cate. Happy dozen years sweet girl.
Thanks, friend. xo
Rebecca Jones says
Happy Birthday, Cate.