My calendar says today is the First Day of Summer, you know, officially. My kids, our routine, and our darkened skin say otherwise. We’re about a month into Summer, according to the big kids’ school calendar. But, you know, in honor of the actual calendar and the fact Summer is my favorite, how about some real-life mom confessions? These really are the kind of things we’d talk about if you were on my porch or in my pool.
1. I lose track of how often my kids shower and I don’t care. Hello, pool.
2. I threw away the reading logs that came home from school at the end of the year as soon as I saw them. Ben has actually had his nose in books way more this summer than ever before, and, well, if you know Cate, then you know she’s always reading, often a book she’s already read.
(Reading logs could make my Summer Not-To-Do List …)
3. I don’t have chore charts or bucket lists, but we still do chores and have fun. I do sometimes jot down lists for the big kids, especially Ben, who is more productive when he can focus on thing at a time rather than me blurting out 36 instructions at once.
4. I eat Wyler’s Italian Ice popsicles at least as much as my kids. And I drink grape Crystal Light because it tastes like Kool-Aid.
5. I went to a school board meeting to interview a teaching candidate recently in shorts, a T-shirt, and flip flops. I totally meant to change before I met Greg to eat, hand off the kids, and swap vehicles. I forgot. Legitimately forgot.
6. Sometimes cooking dinner in the summertime involves hot dogs on the George Foreman grill.
7. I wore my shorts-and-tank swimsuit with another tank top on top to pick up Cate from horse camp. In other words, I wear my swimsuit in public sometimes.
What real-life confessions do you have to share?