Here we are, making our way through the second part of 2016. I don’t know how that’s possible, but I better just go with it. As I looked back on my month – thanks to Instagram and Facebook posts – I realize this month was pretty much about my girl turning 1 and discovering new music and where it fits in my life.
So, in no particular order, are nine things I learned this month …
1. I have a 1-year-old girl. Fastest year of my life.
2. I like listening to Ben Rector. Thanks, Pandora. He’s a popular choice on the Needtobreathe channel so he’s become a favorite round here. I especially love his “Follow You” song
3. Rachel really likes football games – at least the atmosphere. She happily yelled, clapped and danced for nearly all of the three house of Murray State’s home opener and repeated the joy a couple weeks later at the second game.
4. Some years the last pontoon boat outing can be on Sept. 25, which apparently was our last 90-degree day of the year. I love summer, but I’m ready for some cooler temperatures.
5. Seeing my byline is always exciting. Most recently, I’m one of 150 who shared Five Minute Friday posts that are now bound together in an actual book. Plus all the proceeds benefit a couple charities, so it’s a good reminder that our stories matter and can help others.
6. Andrew Peterson’s new CD that is actually nearly a year old is excellent, especially “Be Kind to Yourself.” Better late than never, right? (And it inspired a whole post.)
7. Concerts with my husband are one of my favorite dates. (Riding roller coasters is right up there!) A week ago we saw Mat Kearney open for Needtobreathe. It was such a fun night.
8. Okay, so, playlists are my love language too. And that’s a good thing because concerts aren’t always accessible or possible! I recently made a new playlist after a fellow writer offered such a prompt. The songs are my soundtrack of a this season of transition and adventures. I’ve previously made themed-playlists about joy and light.
9. “This Is Us” and “Notorious” seem like shows I’ll enjoy watching. Add them to “Blue Bloods,” “Madam Secretary,” “Survivor,” and “Blacklist” and my DVR will be full. Plus Greg and I started “The Newsroom” on Amazon Prime before new TV debuted. It’s no “West Wing,” but we’re enjoying it. And sometimes during the day I watch “Hawaii Five-0” while I’m folding clothes or trying to contain my into-everything-girl in one room.
So, tell me about your September. What did you learn? Did you hear any new songs that you want to remember?